Oman is in the United Arab Emirates and is located south of Saudi Arabia. This little gem of a country is stunning and is home to lost cities, Arabian palaces and a historic fort, Oman is an intriguing mix of old and new. Resplendent mosques and traditional trading towns jostle alongside large complexes and shopping malls. On the idyllic coastline, find some of the most spectacular hotels ever seen.
Spectacular scenery, an enchanting culture and luxurious retreats make for a magical holiday in Oman. Here are its best attractions.
- Al Bustan Beach offers a stunning mountain backdrop and the Al Bustan Palace Hotel.
- Al Jissah Bay, home to the Shangri-La is ultra-relaxing place suitable for families.
Sightseeing and culture
- See the towering minarets of The Grand Mosque in Oman’s capital city of Muscat.
- Explore Nizwa Fort, one of the oldest forts in Oman, built in the 17th Century.
- Visit Bahla Fort, an impressive fortified settlement and UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Take a 4×4 safari jeep ride through the Wahiba Sands and camp under the stars.
Wildlife and adventure
- See majestic turtles on Turtle Beach during egg-laying season in June and July.
- Take a 4×4 ride through the dramatic scenery of Wadi Nakhr, Oman’s answer to the Grand Canyon.
- Swim in the shimmering emerald green water of Wadi Shab, the ‘ravine between cliffs’.
- Stay in a luxurious Omani-style room with the Hajar Mountains as your backdrop at Six Senses Zighy Bay.
- Relax with a Chedi Jade Massage or Ayurvedic Abhyanga Massage at The Chedi Muscat spa.
- Buy opulent gold jewellery, pottery and traditional Arabic lanterns at the Muttrah Souk
Events and festivals
- Feb: See dhows sail across the Gulf waters for Oman’s annual boat Race.
- Feb: The Muscat Festival takes place to celebrate Omani culture.
- Nov: See fireworks fill the skies for Oman’s National Day.
[image from easyscienceforkids.com]